Wednesday, August 10, 2011

~Fried Eggplant Means Summertime at RoseCreekCottage~


I love summers at RoseCreekCottage. I can't wait until the tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini are ripe. I guess you can blame my Italian roots for that!! These vegetables were staples in my Mom's Italian summer kitchen when we were growing up, and I'm lucky that my German husband fell in love with them the first time he tasted the Italian dishes in my Mom's while we were dating!

Begin by slicing the zucchini into 1/4" thick slices. Then salt both sides, and let them sit for about 1 hour. This enables the zucchini to 'weep'. Then using a paper towel, pat both sides dry.

Beat 2-3 eggs in a shallow dish. Dip each slice in the eggs. Coat slices in Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs. You can buy these in any grocery store. Heat 1" of canola oil in hot frying pan, and fry each slice until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve plain, or with Sour Cream Garlic Dip recipe attached.


FRIED EGGPLANT

1 eggplant, about 1 1/4 pounds
1 ¼ c. Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
Oil, for frying

Slice eggplant into ¼” slices. Lightly salt each slice on both sides and let sit for 1 hour. Pat slices dry.

Break the eggs into shallow plate and beat well with a fork. Start with 2 eggs and add a third one if needed.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip each slice of eggplant in egg, then lightly coat them with breadcrumbs. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve warm....although we love them cold, too!

Makes 6 servings


SOUR CREAM GARLIC DIP

5 tbsp sour cream
4 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp salt

Combine all ingredients together.


Enjoy! I'm serving these tonite with Ziti pasta tossed with butter and parmesan cheese and a big garden salad and crusty Italian bread. Yum.

I'm off to the studio to finish up orders. Stop by my new RoseCreekCottage website and take a look around at all the beautiful custom hand stamped heirloom pieces we have to offer. You won't be disappointed!







1 comment:

Dolores said...

Thanks for sharing your 'how to do' on these recipes.... they look so delicious, and I love eggplant and squash.... Yum!!