Tuesday, January 8, 2013

~When God Throws Rocks....er Boulders~

God always knows how to get me attention. He first gives me little nudges that appear as little whispers. "Yeah, yeah, God. I know. You want me to slow down once all my orders are out. I will. Promise". Somehow...He always knows when I have no true intention of listening. When this happens...He throws rocks. When THAT doesn't get my attention.....He throws boulders. Like He has done now. Here's what happened:

I had shipped all my orders by Dec. 20th. Did a Power-Day of Christmas Shopping....came home to finish baking cookies.....and ran to see the decorations Jim was putting outside the front door. I slipped my stocking-feet into rubber clogs because he said it was wet outside. As I hurried towards the front door, the clogs caught on the edge of the backhall rug....and I was thrown up into the air.

Time seemed suspended as I saw my cornflower-blue-clogged feet up in the air in front of me. Knowing I was about to crash to the floor, landing on my left hip...some little angel whispered, "Don't try to buffer the fall with your left arm. It won't work...and you'll break it ALONG with your hip". I listened. Trying not to pass out from the pain, I screamed to Jim, sounding like that commercial on TV for the Life Alert pendant. Thankfully he heard me before I passed out.

The result: No broken bones. A torn adductor muscle, internal damage to the tissues, ligaments, etc. I couldn't put any weight on the left leg. Started out on a walker...and have now graduated to a pink cane.(yup...that's what you get when you send your husband to buy it)  I'm totally housebound as I don't dare to slip on the treacherous ice and snow. As my PT said, "Time is your friend".

So....God got my attention. He knew I had NO intention of slowing down. So He did it for me. You'd think I'd learn and listen to Him from the get-go. I'm trying, God, I'm trying. The stubborn Italian gene just isn't making it easy!!

Now I've slowed down, forced to rest....getting a chance to read the stack of books and magazines I've longingly glanced at the past few months. I thank all my beloved family and friends who have continued to check on me, bring food, flowers, and lots of love: to Jim, who has done everything from cooking, to cleaning, to bringing me Communion, catering to my every whim. sigh. LOVE him to death: to Rosie Girl, who doesn't leave my side, and sweetly, patiently lets me hobble in front of her from place-to-place: and especially to two little Amish girls who have dedicated themselves to helping me get back on my feet...and back to the studio....with love and much laughter~  xoxoxox


PS: Received this email from my cousin, Debbie M, who always knows how to make me laugh: "Hey Carol ahem could you um at least spice up the story a bit? Falling in the kitchen is not glamorous. Try this: I was wrestling bears on the icy slopes of the Himalayan Mountains when an avalanche broke free and knocked us all in a tumbling heap to the raging river below as a sailboat came by and knocked me up onto a boulder ....you get the picture. No more of this "I fell in the kitchen". Weak."

 Thank you, Debbie! I needed that! xo

5 comments:

JLynnCreations said...

Rest up and let yourself heal :) And yeah.....Debbie is always good for a great laugh!! Tell her I said hi!

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, Jacquie!! Different cousin Debbie....my Uncle Joe's daughter!!

Kat said...

Oh no! Poor you! I was expecting you to say you caught a nasty cold or something. My goodness! You really go to extremes, don't you!

My mother got sick after every Christmas. She would hold up through all the stress and then the minute she could relax her body let down. I feel I may be the same way. Although I just have tiny sniffles now, so I won't complain. ;)

I hope you heal quickly! Thank God for all the lovelies surrounding you.

And that picture is just precious!

Dolores said...

Oh Carol, I'm so sorry !!!! Sure glad to hear you didn't break a bone. Take care and enjoy this time of 'sitting' around.
Praying for your healing.
Hugs,

Jules~ said...

Dear Carol,
I haven't blogged in quite a while but felt the urge to come by for a long overdue visit this evening. And oh my goodness you poor dear! I am so very sorry for your predicament. Praise God it wasn't worse.

I love your cousin's story plot. There sure is something about action in a story that is out of the norm. I have a friend who battled skin cancer in her foot (of all places). Thru surgery and such she has ended up with a mis-shapen area in the arch of her foot. When people would ask her what happened to her foot, she learned quickly that if she said cancer then people would get quiet and awkward. So her new story line was that she wrestled a shark while swimming in the ocean one summer. She had meant it as a casual joke one day but the gasps and ease with people that the story brought with it priceless.

Seriously though, I am so grateful you are viewing your 'boulder' with His eyes. That is so admirable and encouraging to me. I often have to confess to being hit with a 2x4 to slow down and recognize His roses.

Blessings to you and your family. Enjoy your time and rest in His presence.